#GivingTuesdayNow was created as a new global day of giving and unity to take place on May 5th, 2020 as an emergency response to the unprecedented need caused by COVID-19. CORRAL is participating as a nonprofit organization both impacted by and responding to the crisis with our essential services.
On March 20th, we promised that we are not giving up on our girls.
Before COVID-19, our girls were already in high-risk situations. This pandemic magnified their situations. Over the past 45 days, we've seen a spike in unsafe behaviors, use of illegal substances, violence, breakdowns, and other factors threatening their lives. Additionally, their caretakers, often not their biological parents, are overwhelmed and exhibiting an increased need for counseling, support and resources.
On top of that, the achievement gap is widening for our girls with limited access to internet or technology during a time when their entire education moved online. As stated in her blog post, Tracy Doaks, CORRAL board member and Secretary of Department of Information Technology, reveals the digital inequity in our state; a mere 59 percent of NC’s population has broadband access. Our community, including our beloved champions, has been working hard to set up hot spots, provide laptops, and offer virtual tutoring, so our girls don’t get left behind.
45 days later, we still haven’t given up on our girls even while navigating financial and capacity challenges.
Here’s how we’ve been lifting our girls each week when all odds seem to be pulling them down:
- Virtual one-on-one tutoring sessions
- A daily activity and resource-rich kit to provide structure and guidance for families
- A virtual parent support group with daily calls
- An assigned mental health professional for each family with daily support
- An individualized mental health plan with tele-therapy for each of our girls and increased support provided by our licensed mental health professional
- Tele-therapy peer support sessions for our girls to maintain a sense of community
- Providing hot spots, laptops and access to printed educational materials
- Grocery deliveries to food insecure families
Together we lift our girls.
We are calling on our community now to help lift our girls and their families in this time of crisis. We are their safety nets. We know our impact when we support, heal, and empower our girls. Please share our mission with people in your network who would share a heart for our cause. Our girls’ stories are the ones that need to be told. Click here to download a social media graphic to share with your networks in addition to a link to this page.
Thank you for your continued prayers, support and selfless hours.